9/8/12

Supermodel Beauty Secrets: Joan Smalls



thefashionspot.com



The most powerful model in the world reveals her favourite products, top recommendations and impressive exercise regime.

At this very moment, who is the most powerful model in the world? Twenty-four year-old Joan Smalls. Last week, the industry’s favourite source for all things 'model' - the aptly named
Models.com - declared her in pole position, stating: “With her innate elegance and multi-cultural beauty, Joan Smalls has become the defining face of modern luxury.” What better way to cement such an accolade than her debut Harper’s Bazaar cover?


And, should you think us bias, just glance over her CV. This year alone, the Puerto Rican model was chosen as the face of Estee Lauder, Givenchy, H&M, Fendi, Calvin Klein Jeans, Lacoste and Chanel. 2012 has been busy for Joan Smalls; on top of her campaigns and Harper's Bazaar cover, she also found time to walk some 38 runways and the spring/summer 13 shows are still to come… Her No. 1 crown is just deserts for tenacity alone.

What makes Smalls the most in demand model, should you not already see, is an ethereal elegance that oozes sophistication and power, her flawless complexion and a bone structure that doesn’t bear thinking about for mere mortals. While those cheekbones might be Joan’s and Joan’s alone, the model shares her beauty secrets here with Bazaar, revealing her favourite products, signature scent, and tailored exercise regime...

 


Bazaar: You’ve had an exceptionally busy year. How does your skin cope with the fatigue and the travelling that comes with the job?

Smalls: I actually love being able to travel and going to different destinations, but it’s the checking-in and waiting at the airport that I don’t enjoy. I have a love/hate relationship with flying. I’ll drink a lot of water because it’s healthy for my skin. When I travel, I need it to replenish and re-hydrate; such a huge percentage of our bodies are made up of water.

Bazaar: And what about products? Do you find there is anything that helps a demanding schedule?

Smalls: Estee Lauder’s 'Advance Night Repair Serum'. I apply it mid-flight to combat fatigue and keep skin supple and hydrated through a long trip. I really love the texture of it.

 


Bazaar: What about your day-to-day beauty routine?

Smalls: For me, I have to stick to a set regime that I know works, I’ve learnt a lot about my skin over the years. I tend to get oily on the T-zone of my face, while other areas are normal, so I always cleanse my face with a wash that contains salicylic acid and then I’ll moisturise. I also always keep lip balm close by; it creates a smother surface before applying lipstick.
 
 
thefashionspot.com
 
 


Bazaar: Have you learnt any tips or tricks from industry experts? You’ve worked with some of the greatest beauty names in the business…

Smalls: It was Tom Pecheux, Pat McGrath and Virginia Young who taught me the art of blending your make up, it’s really important and you can see the difference. They’re such amazing makeup artists so I’m lucky to have learnt their techniques from them. Tom also recommended Estée Lauder’s Pore Minimizer to me. I use it to prep my skin before I apply make-up. I’ve know Tom for a little while now and trust him to always give me great advice.
 


Bazaar: Have you ever been recommended any surprising tips or tricks that paid off?

Smalls: Actually, years ago, I tried a mixture for my hair that consisted of avocado, olive oil and eggs! I’d recommend it if you’re up for experimenting and getting your hands messy! It’s a good DIY trick for providing moisture to brittle hair.
 


Bazaar: Wow. That, we weren’t expecting! We also wanted to talk about how you stay in shape. How important is it to you?

Smalls: Four years ago, it hit home that my body is part of my business so looking after it became part of my lifestyle. I started training with Mark Gordon [the personal trainer who works with many top catwalk models]. Personally, I put importance on every aspect of modeling and taking care of my physique is one of them.
 


Bazaar: What has Mark taught you?

Smalls: He’s great, he tailors the workout to what my body needs and makes it perfect. I have scoliosis - deviation of the spinal cord - and in order to deal with it and acquire strength in my back, exercise is crucial to my well being anyway. So my exercise mixes strength training with my own body weight, interval exercises and cardio and targeted exercises for abs and buns. Mark’s all about getting the perfect form of exercise to ensure I target the right muscles and define the lines in my body.

 

Bazaar: Does diet come into staying in shape? Do you have a specific eating regime?

Smalls: I do not diet. If I have a swimwear shoot, I just go to the gym everyday for an hour.

 

Bazaar: Finally, if you had to pick just one fragrance that would be your signature scent, what would it be?

Smalls: That’s easy, one of my favourites is Tom Ford’s Black Orchid – I love any of his oil-based scents. As long as it isn’t too overpowering, I love a sweet scent. I have a sweet tooth after all.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment